Friday, August 16, 2013

Does Necessity Create Desire, Or Does Desire Create Necessity?

I work in manufacturing on a production line. One of the responsibilities I often get is palletizing. After the product is put into boxes, it is sent through a tape machine, from which I take the box and stack it on a pallet. I often have other responsibilities along with it, such as folding boxes. I was palletizing the other day, and the boxes weren't being fed through the tape machine very fast, so I wasn't moving very fast. I didn't find it necessary to move any faster than the boxes were coming. I could've moved faster if I wanted to and have more rest in between, but I didn't have the desire. When the boxes started coming faster, I didn't realize it until I was starting to get behind, and then I found it necessary to pick up the pace to stay caught up. I could've continued to go slow if I wanted to and let the boxes continue to get backed up, but I had a desire to keep up with the boxes so I didn't get behind.

Which came first, necessity or desire? When the boxes started coming faster, I first saw the necessity in speeding up, and then I had the desire to speed up, when if I had the desire to go fast in the first place, it wouldn't have been necessary to speed up, because I would have already been going at the pace needed.

I waited for the necessity before I had the desire. If I had the desire before the necessity came, I would've made things a lot easier on myself and my coworkers who got behind because of my falling behind.

Why do we live the Gospel? Do we find it necessary, or do we have the desire? When I was young, I went to Church because it was necessary. My parents told me I needed to go, so I went. I didn't have a desire to go, I was just following the rules. That attitude has changed drastically in recent years. Now that I'm grown and can make decisions for myself, I don't find it necessary to go to Church. Nobody's pointing a finger at me and telling me I have to follow the rules and go to Church. But I go because I desire to. Once my desire changed, necessity changed. What I desired to do determined what I felt was necessary.

So which comes first for you? Necessity, or desire? When it comes to living the Gospel, make sure you're not just doing it out of necessity, or it doesn't do anyone any good. You have to desire it. No matter what the situation, desire must always come before necessity. Necessity does not and cannot create desire. No matter how necessary or important someone else tells you something is, if it's not important to you, you won't have a desire for it. But, if you desire something, if you feel it is important enough to pursue, that desire is necessary to you.

Desire creates necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment